I’m a hardcore non-vegetarian. And God’s idea of a funny is giving me a room-mate, a boyfriend and colleagues who are vegetarians.
All of them, however, are extremely tolerant to my omnivorous experiments and very supportive when my chicken comes out burnt. Most importantly they’re all big fans of the humble egg, and a summery egg salad is just right for a sultry Mumbai afternoon, when you don’t really feel like a whole and hearty heavy Indian lunch.
Egg and Potato Salad with a Honey-Mustard Dressing
What You Need:
To Serve 2:
– 3 eggs
– 3 medium-sized potatoes
– 3 medium-sized scallions
– 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil (please don’t run out and get it if you don’t already have it, regular olive oil would do fine)
– 1 tablespoon of French mustard (substitute with Dijon mustard, by all means…)
– 1 tablespoon of honey
– Half a teaspoon of dried oregano
– 1 big garlic clove, minced (because you din’t want garlic pieces in your mouth when you’re eating the salad)
– Salt to taste
– Freshly ground pepper
– Cilantro leaves, chopped
– Bring half a pan of water to boil. Add the eggs and potatoes (with peel) and cook for 12-15 minutes.
– At this point remove the eggs, peel the outer shells carefully and slice evenly. If the potatoes are not done, continue boiling them for a few more minutes till cooked through.
– Once they’re done, cool the potatoes under cold water, peel and chop them.
– In a jar, add the oil, mustard, honey, oregano, garlic and salt. Cover the jar tightly with a lid and shake to mix well.
– Combine the scallions, potatoes, eggs and cilantro leaves. Mash the egg slices with a fork roughly. Pour the dressing over them and toss well.
– Sprinkle freshly ground pepper on top.
Tip: Add toasted (or fried) cubes of spiced bread. A sprinkle of feta also would make it more interesting. Try and avoid squeezing lemon juice (or lime juice) over the salad, since the mustard is already twangy.
P.S.- The bread above scares me a little….considering the fact that it looks like a very weird piece of meat!